Wednesday, June 21, 2006

"The best way to see New York is on the run!"*

The most awaited time of the day was when the clock would strike 12.
No, I wasnt turning into a pumpkin:), the NYC Half-Marathon registration was about to begin.
At 11:55 am, the registration tab appeared on the webpage and then started a series of "refresh" page commands, entering credit card details and mad chat messages, asking friends to try to log in from their networks. Had one leg in the ongoing seminar in the conference room and the other at my desk, trying to register, if only the site would let me.
Finally an hour and a half later, I just managed to find my way onto the last page, where I thankfully said "Submit" and was finally registered!
So, here I am, at this end of the training and running sessions, that sort of began around the weekend of June 10th with the Asha 5K Run at Riverside Park.
Participating in the half-marathon as a part of the Asha Marathon training group, also means fund-raising $100/ mile, i.e $1310 for the 13.1 miles that I will run on August 27th 2006. All the money will go towards the basic education of underprivileged children in India, a well-deserved cause for which any contributions will be appreciated. I havent yet officially signed up for this, but when I do, I will have a website to raise this money and would certainly hope that anyone who reads this on my blog or otherwise, will be nice enough to chip in a few bucks for this worthy cause!
Running has never been the same for me ever before and I think I can say with a certain amount of surety and spunk in my step, that it has begun to change my life!:)
On that end note, here's the beautiful course that 'we' 10,000 half-marathoners will run on D-Day!
* Quoted from the NY Road Runner's Club website.

3 comments:

Shweyta said...

At the moment, I just want to see if i finish it in the first place! That is my target for the time being!:)

Unknown said...

I like the idea of beting on time! Have people donate double or nothing if you better your target time!

Shweyta said...

I think you people should anyways donate generously towards us, cos we are running so much:) Donate double if we better our target or donate normal if we dont;)