Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Mumbai Diaries - Week 14 - Of Architectural 'Bliss', 'circular' lives and unusually free weekends!

1. Week 14 started with a bang -
On Monday, Preetam and Ilya, (whom you may know from the previous week's diary), came over to the office, for a scheduled site-visit. The three of us, along with Sushanta, the L&T Structural engineer on the project, got a personalised, special tour of the construction site. We walked all along the periphery of the SW Pier, which is the first phase of the airport, noticing intricate construction details and stepping on and off reinforcement bars and cement sacks.
To be on site, to see constructed, what one has been working on, from the inception, is how most Architects define "Bliss".
This was one such afternoon for us.
We tanned ourselves dark, through our safety helmets and site jackets, as we walked around, relating in actuality, what we had been conceiving so long, in 2 and 3-D. To Preetam, the Structural Engineer, the visit also entailed work, as he kept pointing out things to Sushanta, that he was not in agreement with, but to Ilya and I, this was an exciting couple of hours, touring what I ve called my 'baby' since over two years now.
2. September is here and so is the first of the family birthdays - Sept 2nd was Pa-in-laws birthday. In his honour, I hosted a birthday dinner at one of his favourite sea-food speciality restaurants - Gajalee in Vile Parle. The event was attended by both the Moms', Dads' and sis-in-law and to-be bro-in-law. The night started off with some yummy pink-looking Sol Kadhi, went on to Hariyali Paneer Tikkas, Tandoori Pomfrets, Bombay-Duck fry and Seekh kababs. The main course included Shark gravy (Mori Masala), Shrimp Masala and three types of Biryanis - Fish, Chicken and Vegetarian. Dessert was birthday cake - Dutch trufle brought by the sis-in-law, cut by Pa-in-law, amidst a loud birthday song and clapping spectators :)
The conversation ranged from weddings, careers, travel plans to future plans. An evening that did not want to end or so it seemed, when even after having left the restaurant, people didnt really leave each other. Finally, at midnight or so, we called it a night and went home. Most definitely looking forward to many such mega family events, in the near future.
3. While there is much festive mirth and revelry everywhere, when all the 'dhols' are done beating and the 'aartis' stop chanting, it may be time to reflect within ourselves and wonder what happens to the environment, when our celebration ends? Most Ganesh idols are immersed in the sea, in most parts of Mumbai or in the lake, as in Powai. As kids, while growing up in Mumbai, we were not taken to the beach a few weeks after 'Ganpati Bappa went home' since the waters would have washed ashore an arm or a leg of an idol.
In a similar discussion with a friend the other day, we talked about how plaster-of-paris Ganpati's should be banned and eco-friendly ones should be promoted. However, obivously it is easier said than done, considering a huge industry is supported by this festival and the idols. But somehow a happy medium needs to be struck. We can no longer sacrifice our beaches and waters, exposing them to poisonous non-degradable idols. Obviously, no political party will pick up the onus of declaring this ban. So maybe it's time the common man thought about it and generated a PIL for the same.
4. Its funny how, at certain sights, that suddenly appear in front of me, I get all "awwww", inspite of being back in Mumbai for over 3 months now.
Inanimate objects that have held relevance in the past, especially in the growing years. One such "awww" moment happened the other day, when I was walking home from gym and I saw a beaten-up shuttlecock, lying on the road, next to me :) That makes me add 'playing baddy' as we called it, to my to-do list, while I am still here.
When I got home, the neighbours 'double door' had a 'phool-pudi' (green leaf wrapped around flowers, usually delivered in the evenings, for pooja, in apartment buildings in Mumbai), stuck in it's grill, as several doors did in our building, while growing up.
At Mom's place in Four bungalows, this retrospection enhances itself, when I see the bhel-puri walla bhaiyya, still standing where he did, for the last 30 years, selling exactly what he did, and still looking the same. It's like living in parallel Mumbai's simultaneously.
5. The last day of Ganpati was Thursday, this week. Office was 'supposed' to shut early, since immersion traffic takes over the city, beyond 3 pm. However, inspite of no formal intimation from work to leave early, people decided to take off as they pleased anyway.
Narayan, my latest driver and I, took off. He was going home to Ghatkopar, for his local Ganpati visarjan, so he dropped me off en route, at a rickshaw stop, since I was going to Four Bungalows, to see Ganpati's. Turns out, no rickshaw-wallahs were interested in going anywhere, so after 45 unsuccessful minutes, finally a generous gentleman stopped and decided to give a few of us a ride, upto Juhu galli. From there, a stranger and I (this girl who had hooked up with me at the bus-stop in Mumbai's popular "When in trouble unite with another woman" scenario) found a rickshaw, that took us home.
At home, after evening-chai with the folks, Mom and I, walked towards an appropriate street corner, to view the caravan of huge Ganesha's trailing their way into the beach. A few pictures later, we started following the caravan and found ourselves walking onto the beach and almost into the water. We walked from one Ganesha to another, on the sand, some where the last 'aarti's' were being said and some were just entering the ocean.
People willingly posed for my camera, (Mom thought they assumed I was part of the 'press'). Circulation was smooth, no pushing, no shoving, no groping. For the first time in my life, I was not worried about being in a crowded place, in this city, having to be wary of 'intrusions'.
My clicking-frenzy got the better of me. I got emotional and a little foggy-eyed on seeing my favourite little 'God-Buddy' leave, as I yelled out in sync with the rest of the city "Ganpati Bappa Morya, Pudhchya varshi lavkar ya". I even added my own little prayer to it, in my head and said "Aani aamhala parat Mumbai-it houu dya" (Ganpati Bappa Morya, Come early next year and please let us be in Mumbai, again, at the time.)
As I stood with Mom, at the pedestrian side of the rope, which forbid us from entering into the 'visarjan' zone beyond, we stared far out, at the horizon. Post-visarjan, people were emerging from the sea, with empty 'paat's' (pedestals on which Ganpati is kept) in their hand.
Neither Mom nor I, said a word. Neither of us had ever been to the sea, for a Ganesh visarjan before; I, in my 30 years of existence and Mom in her 33 years of having lived in Mumbai. When I was growing up, she would hold my hand and take me to the Bonbon junction at 7 Bungalows, every year, to show me the passing big Ganpati's, going for immersion. That was the making of my first Mumbai moments.
That Thursday evening, while gazing at the Ganpatis' being immersed into the ocean, as I inched closer to hold Mom's hand, I realised, I had given her, her most incredible Mumbai moment.
Momentarily albeit, Life came a full circle !
Post-visarjan, we met up with Snehi and little Ira and walked through the celebrations, to go to Snehi's place. My evening was spent playing with li'll Ira ( For some silly reason we both call each other 'Cuckoo' now), taking pictures and working on jigsaw puzzles that gave shape to two Dora's.
Dinner was at Mom's place, while watching our common T.V soap together, after which I left for home. The rickshaw ride back, was smooth, winding its way through more processions and celebrations. Saying one last good-bye to Ganpati Bappa, I found myself back home, as soon as the clouds gave way to incessant rainfall, that did not stop all night long. A lot of prayers seemed to have been answered that night.
6. While walking in Ratan Nagar (the street I grew up on), I came across a "chamcha poster" that celebrated the organisers of the local Ganpati. I had expected to find some familiar faces on the poster, but the face of this one 'Uncle' made me roar with laughter, as it will to my friends who know him too :) So although this is not a joke that everyone can understand, it is extremely hilarious and hence putting down as a highlight of the week. Mom, Pops and I shared a soulful laugh, as we passed by the poster.
7. Mr. Mad Oldie from Senior Management at work here, went around putting himself to shame once again. He asked a girl in the office, "If you dont mind, can you please tie your hair?". The girl did give it back to him, in her own way, but the man does not fail to apall me with his ridiculousness.
8. AA (My team member, also named Amit) who keeps "Boss" ing me all the time, was the centre of all jokes, when even the buttons on his pant buttons, read the same as his office mantra - "Yes Boss", as seen in the first picture of the weekly album.
9. The work week ended just as it started; with another site visit, this time to the existing International Terminal, to study certain joinery details. It was nice to enter the airport and go all the way upto the Continental gate, without a ticket in hand. "From here, all I need is a Boarding Pass, to go make a quick trip to go see the Hubby and come back :)" I said to myself.
10. The common cold took over me starting Friday; and gave the boys another reason to joke about. The Swine Flu poster stuck on the notice board outside, was now relocated to my desk, as they decided to check my symptoms against those on the poster.
11. Saturday evening, after work, was spent running domestic errands in Powai, after which I called it an early night, in anticipation of the long run the next day.
12. Sunday morning, the rains and exhaustion woke me up, to the morning alarm. The target run being only a 10 miler, I decided to give it a skip and went back to bed again, only to rise at 11:30 am. This must have been my latest Sunday morning, in Mumbai, so far.
Lunch was at Mom and Pop's, where Pav Bhaji awaited me. The afternoon was spent pampering myself with massages before I came home for evening-chai with the folks. Dinner was Bhuna Chicken and Veg. Biryani ordered from 'Urban Tadka', while watching a T.V Award show with the parents. I was finally back home in Powai, at 11 pm to call it a night, on a weekend spent, doing absolutely nothing. My first such weekend here; and one that I do not intend on repeating :)
Week 14 in pictures is here:
Take care and do write back. Would love to hear from you.
Be happy and stay well, while I go to the cafetaria and grab some 'tayeer-chaadam' and pickle for lunch.
Hope you all had a great long weekend.
Love,
Shweyta

No comments: