Saturday, August 14, 2004

Am I in a New York state of mind?

Often, discussions with friends, reveal how I've taken for granted the city I live in. It's not a fact hidden from anyone, that New York City is one of the most important cities in the world. It still has'nt sunk in yet, for me I guess. So today when I left work with all these thoughts in my head, I tried to look at everything around me with a new perspective. I walked on 7th Ave ( also known as Fashion Ave.) with my back facing the hullabaloo of neon's we call Times' Square. When I was in India, I had never imagined that there will be a day when walking within Times Square will become routine and perhaps occassionally frustrating ( due to the tourist's galore). Then, it was one of the most successful urban experiments in a metropolis, a far-out-in-the-distance destination I wanted to be in...today it is such an unavoidable part of life.
As I turned around and continued to walk towards 34th St, I found myself facing the Empire State Building right up ahead. Another important icon, historically and in the present too as it once again reclaims its honour as NYC's tallest building. I looked at it for a good 2 mins, as I always do from the toilet window:) ( A silly detour here, but I use a particular toilet in the Ladies' Rest room at work, the window of which overlooks onto the Hudson. Literally as Gandhiji would say, most of the thinking gets done on the toilet seat. Very true; as my daily introspections take place literally staring straight onto the Hudson and the Empire State right across).
To continue where we left off, on 34th St. was Macy's, the world's biggest store! I walk past it everyday and see crazy shoppers' with huge bags filled with stuff from there...never really understand why from there of all the places..but well..it's an american cultural thing to do..shop at Macy's. So anything goes, just as a souveneir from the New York Macy's. Metaphorically the world's largest consumerist phenomenon, all right there, sprawled out on one whole block and 5 floors...
So there they were, the world's most famous Square, easily one of the most famous buildings and the largest store, all within a 2 minute walk. Icons I pass everyday and hence possibly am beginning to take for granted.
I get into the subway and when we emerge out in Queens, on the other side of the East River, I turn around to see one of my most favourite views from a running train...The entire New York City skyline stretched out like an oil on canvas, with the sun scenically setting behind the Chrysler and the Queensborough Bridge sprawling across the waters to meet Manhattan...and I ask myself...Is this for real?? Do I live here now?
Or is this what they call being in a New York state of mind?

GOOD WATCH: Malena

No comments: