Tuesday, August 24, 2004

London - Day 4

Day 4 (Tuesday 24th Aug 04’):
After the usual morning routine at home, left for the west part of London today, to get the Lord’s Tour. Took a full day bus pass and went to the stadium at the North-West side of Zone 1 to realize I had just missed the last tour of the day. Of course; had to be a stiff Indian-Brit who conveyed that to me at the gates in a rather unfriendly fashion that only strengthened my belief that Brit-Indian’s are more racist, especially towards Indians than Brits. My first regret of the trip, missing the Lord’s tour, easily one of the biggest reasons I would re-visit London in the future.
Decided to walk along the Park Road (comparable to the Oval Maidan area) of Bombay and reached the London Zoo. Spent a while in there and walked all along Prince Albert Road to reach Madame Tussaud’s. Thought if I really wanted to go inside, as I ve been twice in the one at Times’ Square. Decided that the only reason I would want to go is to see Amitabh’s wax statue in there, but it was too late to enter. Regret No. 2, another must-do place on my second visit. (Note: Having lived abroad and been to various places that have branches in other global cities, really makes you question re-visiting them. Quite similar to the experience I had when I stepped into the GAP, Banana Republic, H & M stores on Oxford St. and got out comparing the prices, back home in NYC. I have, however concluded to myself that when it is in a city, where you don’t live, just visit it rather than regret not doing so later.)
Took the bus and got off at Oxford Street. Walked over to Selfridges to check out why it was so big on a London shopper’s list. Bumped into SRK and Gauri Khan with family there and witnessed a classic case of fan-bothering-star-on-his personal visit situation. Was going to go upto SRK to ask for a picture, but decided against it when I saw him deal with an Arabic female fan in a rather unfriendly fashion. Did’nt quite know what to make of it, was it a genuinely frustrated reaction or was it just the air’s-and-graces….left the scene with a rather sympathetic glance towards the star and his family and walked out without as much as being star-struck. The most interesting part of the whole incident was my two-minute conversation with this old, british lady (read as OBL below)
OBL: Who is that, dear?
Me: That’s Shahrukh Khan, a Bollywo…
OBL: Goodness gracious, Is that Shahrukh..the King Khan?
Me: Uh..Yes Ma’m, I am afraid he is ( funny look on face)
OBL: You must be absolutely delighted, is’nt it dear, to see him here? I am sure you love him a lot, being Indian..
Me: Well, unfortunately not. I am not particularly fond of him. In fact I don’t think too highly of him or his work.
OBL: Shhh!! Beware my dear! You must’nt let anyone hear that here, people in this city love him, Brits, Asians the like. He is the “King Khan” after all now, isn’t he?
Me: ( in my head) Brit’s often end their sentences with rhetorics, hence this particular rhetoric need’nt be answered….
Me: (aloud) It was nice talking to you Ma’m, but I must move over to the next floor. Have a good evening!
…and I was out of there, just like that!
One of the most priceless conversations I’ve ever had with a stranger, in a foreign land!
Walked into happier surroundings, shopper’s and tourists strutting along the cobbled pavements and some taking their breaks under the Marble Arch. Walked across it to Hyde Park and spent the rest of the afternoon there. Another high tea later, found myself walking back on Oxford Street (this turned out to be my most visited area in the city), ducking in and out of stores to check out the London fashion scene, concluded that London has a wilder streak to its fashion sense than NYC, for sure. Walked into H & M, my favourite store, and checked out the stuff that I would soon find myself buying in their store in Manhattan. Figured the price tags carry the same figures, except that the currency is different, hence cheaper to buy in NYC than here. Saw the Mc’Donalds and concluded they too looked different and more designed than the ones in the US. Realised I was officially crossing the line between admiring London and falling in love with it, what with each conclusion favouring London over NYC. Was shocked to see my biases shifting, but did’nt bother myself with wondering about it as much then. After some more voyeurism and looking through some tourist-shops to figure what could I carry back home, realized that they could do with some better designed t-shirts for tourists to carry back home; maybe they need a Tantra there. Found some ‘bobbies’ along the street and took their pics, as they reminded me of Mr. Goon from Enid Blyton’s five find-outers. Took the bus (Atrey’s bus map was the best thing ever) and got back to meeting D & A outside their office. Went to Blockbuster with them, picked up some movies and decided to cook at home for the night. When Salim came over, sat down with WKD (blue vodka) and had another series of good talks across the table, partly architectural, partly anything. Cooked up a good desi meal and after dinner watched Lost in Translation amidst a lot of ancillary comments and laughter. Finally at the end of the movie, called it a day and my official last night at D & A’s home.

No comments: